Labels

Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Genre: Realistic Fic / Romance
Page Count: 320

GOODREADS SUMMARY:
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.


I've been highly anticipating this book ever since I read Kasie West's debut, Pivot Point, in February.  Sadly, this book didn't live up to my expectations.

The first 150 pages or so were extremely slow to me.  I wasn't fond of the main character, Caymen, and nothing was happening in the story.  I was very close to putting down the book, but for some reason I kept reading.  Luckily, the second half was good, and is why I gave this book three stars when at the beginning I was thinking this one was only worth one star.

THE CHARACTERS:
I didn't connect with Caymen at all.  At the beginning, she seemed very judgmental.  Fortunately, she did change through the book, so the character development was there, but she didn't have a very fleshed-out backstory.  The only thing that kept me reading her story was her fun sarcasm.

As for Xander, I liked his character.  It was fun to see his character evolve from the first scene we saw him in the book, where he just seemed like a snotty rich guy.

THE PLOT:
The plot was full of cliches, and I found it pretty predictable.  On the plus side, there were some fresh ideas that made the story worth reading.  I liked how Kasie West wrapped up the story, but the beginning was uneventful and boring.  The plotline in the middle was okay since that's when the story finally began to pick up, but I'd say the last 50-or-so pages were the best.

I also liked how Caymen lived and worked at a doll store - something I don't see very often and I liked that! It gave the story something interesting while the overused rich-boy poor-girl storyline was playing out.

THE WRITING:
This is the main thing that bugged me in this book.  I thought Kasie West's writing was excellent in Pivot Point, but in this, there were no interesting metaphors and the writing just seemed to drag down the story.  I did quite enjoy the witty banter between Caymen and Xander, though, so that was a plus.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Disclaimer: The pictures that are used in the featured posts are not my own. I put the images together and add the text, but I did not create the pictures that you see.