Labels

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Genre: Realistic Fic / Romance
Page Count: 325

Summary (from Goodreads):
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.

I picked up this book because I had heard it was strongly recommended for fans of The Fault in Our Stars.  Turns out, I really enjoyed this book!

As the cover suggests, music played a part in Eleanor and Park's story, which made me happy. Music is a big part of my life, so I felt more engaged in the story.

Plus, the writing was spot-on for this type of story.  I liked how it wasn't "love at first sight" - it took a while for Eleanor and Park to warm up to each other, and that fact kept me on the edge of my seat, waiting for the drama to unfold.

The characters were excellent!  Character development is what I typically focus on when I'm reading, and I loved how the novel switched points of view - I liked knowing what was going on in Park's head and knowing what was going on at the same time in Eleanor's. That factor only works in some novels, but it definitely worked in this one.

The ending was heartbreaking, though.  Be warned!  Make sure you have some tissues lying around when you're reading those last few chapters.


Overall, I enjoyed the book.  It dealt with some social issues and the story kept me reading.  The romance was cute and compelling.  Will be reading future Rainbow Rowell books for sure!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Disclaimer: The pictures that are used in the featured posts are not my own. I put the images together and add the text, but I did not create the pictures that you see.