Labels

Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Genre: Romance
Page Count: 375

GOODREADS SUMMARY:

Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever. 

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after. 

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?

I wasn't really sure what to expect when I picked this book up.  I admit, I didn't think that she would actually be dead, I was expecting her to be metaphorically dead, not literally. But she actually does die (this isn't a spoiler, it happens within the first couple pages) and the storyline just picks up from there.

THE CHARACTERS:
I liked Brie.  I didn't connect with her very much, but I thought she was still a well-rounded and well-written character.  Her emotions and thoughts were all very logical in the situations she went in.

As for Patrick, he was probably my favorite character.  He was full of witty comebacks and I enjoyed reading the scenes when him and Brie would talk and argue.

THE PLOT:
It was seeming kind of predictable until the last fifty pages.  There's a giant twist that I definitely did not see coming.  The plot was also fast-paced, it never seemed very boring to me.  Something was always happening and each scene was there for a reason.

HEAVEN:
I really liked how the author depicted Heaven in this novel.  I won't talk too much about it because I don't want to spoil the wondrousness of it for you, but I liked the different ideas about what's up there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Disclaimer: The pictures that are used in the featured posts are not my own. I put the images together and add the text, but I did not create the pictures that you see.