Labels

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Genre: Contemporary / Realistic Fiction
Page Count: 357 pages
Series: Perfect Chemistry (Book One)

GOODREADS SUMMARY:
A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. 

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.


So I read this book a few weeks ago after hearing how great it was from GoodReads reviews and such, and so I had high hopes for this book! Fortunately, my hopes were exceeded.  First off, if you're looking for a light read, pick up a different novel - this book has loads of drama that kept me on the edge of my seat.  I applaud the author because Perfect Chemistry is really well-written.

THE MAIN CHARACTERS:
The author could've easily made Brittany a bratty rich girl, but she didn't.  I loved how Brittany cared for her sister more than herself - she is practically the only person in her family that truly loves and cares for her sister, and I thought that really showed who she is as a person.  

As for Alex, he was VERY three-dimensional.  He's known as the "bad boy" and he acts like one around his friends, but you can see his true personality when it shows around his brothers and around Brittany.

THE PLOTLINE:
I felt like the plot dragged a bit in the beginning, but once it picks up it's very exciting and fast-paced.  It's basically a modern-day Romeo & Juliet, which I liked!  The story is definitely well thought-out and THE ENDING.  I loved the Epilogue especially.  I won't spoil anything, but the ending is fantastic, seriously.

OVERALL:
Very well-written story, enjoyed the moral of looking deeper than the surface, and would recommend to anyone in need of a good contemporary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Disclaimer: The pictures that are used in the featured posts are not my own. I put the images together and add the text, but I did not create the pictures that you see.